Learn from patient safety events
Using this service, health and social care staff can:
- Record information about things could have or did affect the safety of patients, or things that have gone well, in order to support learning and safety improvement
- Access, review and update event records they have permission to edit, and undertake governance activities to support local patient safety response and improvement
- View and download data about what patient safety events have been recorded within their own organisation to the new Learn From Patient Safety Events service
Information is available about the project to design and implement this new service.
Please read our FAQ regarding recording events as a social care provider.
If you were redirected to this page from the NRLS GP-eform, we have a dedicated webpage providing specific information for primary care organisations about the introduction of the Learn from patient safety events service.
Before you start
This is a new service, and it is being rolled out across England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Some organisations will be recording patient safety events to this new Learn from Patient Safety Events service, and others will still be reporting incidents to the National Reporting and Learning System (NRLS).
Speak to your local safety team about which system you should currently be using.
Read more about how we learn from recorded patient safety data.
You will need to create an NHS England Applications account and sign in if you want to:
- save draft patient safety event records
- review patient safety event records you have previously submitted
- update patient safety event records you have previously submitted
- access data about what your organisation has recorded
Or set up an account if you've never used this service before
Record a patient safety event anonymously
You can record a patient safety event without creating an account and signing in. You will not be able to save drafts, review or update previous records, or retrieve this record.Record anonymously
Patient, family and carer reporting of patient safety incidents
Patients, families and carers can report patient safety incidents to the NRLS using the public eForm.